A perfect centerpiece for a main course, breaded fennel cutlets are a delicious way to prepare this splendid vegetable. The crispy breading coupled with the soft fennel is the perfect blend of textures, making an irresistible bite. When paired with a quality sauce and a mixed salad, you've got the perfect main course.
Ingredients for Breaded Fennel Cutlet
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 80 g whole wheat flour
- 130 ml water
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil D.O.P. Canino
Breaded Fennel Cutlet Preparation
- Wash and slice the fennel bulbs into thick slices of about ½ cm.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil and blanch the fennel slices for a couple of minutes. Drain them and let them dry and cool down in a colander.
- Prepare the batter for coating the fennel by mixing the whole wheat flour with water and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix everything well with a whisk until obtaining a lump-free and fairly fluid batter.
- Coat and fry. Heat enough olive oil for deep-frying the fennel slices in a high-sided frying pan. Dip the fennel slices first into the batter, then into the breadcrumbs and place them on a plate. As soon as the oil is hot, fry a few fritters at a time for 3-4 minutes until they are golden brown. Drain them with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate covered with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot so that they are still crispy.